8 Crucial Safety Tips From A Police Officer. (Edited).
1. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse,toss it away from you. Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse, allowing for you to escape.
2. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy.. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will.
3. As soon as you get into your vehicle, locks the doors and leave. The predator may be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your HEAD and tell you where to go.
If someone is in the car with a gun to your head, gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your air bag should deploy and save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and escape.
4. A few notes about getting into your car:
Look around you, look into your car, look at the passenger side floor and in the back seat.
If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door.Kidnappers often attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the victim(s) are attempting to get into their cars.
Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side.. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to wait until they leave, or get a friend, co-worker, security guard or police officer to walk you back out to your vehicle.
5. If available, take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are the perfect crime spot.
6. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, run for cover in a zig-zag pattern!
7. Don't assume anything based upon appearance alone; things are rarely what they seem.
Example: Ted Bundy, the legendary serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked 'for help' into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
8. Get to know your neighbors. This can help prevent future problems.