Meaningful Kata Practice


When I was young, I used to struggle with kata (prearranged forms, 'shadow boxing' of a type; or as they were called when I was studying Taekwondo, hyung). 

We had many prearranged forms. Some had functional techniques and movements one could use while sparring, the majority did not. I eventually discarded them from my practice completely after I found myself using only my boxing skills, a lead-leg front kick, and a random roundhouse kick when I actually had to save myself from some two-legged predator at school.

Later on, while I was learning Thai-rules kickboxing, my coach told me that shadow boxing was in fact a type of “kata”. I could wrap my mind around this interpretation of kata, because it directly applied techniques and concepts I would utilize in the ring (and on the street).

Years later, as part of earning my black belt, I had to learn all 5 katas created by Enshin Karate's founder Joko Ninomiya. I enjoyed his type of kata also, because it too directly applied techniques and concepts I would use. As I progressed, I realized that some of the chains of techniques and transitions of positioning contained in the katas required too much technical skill and precision that what I could effectively bring to bear during a truly adrenalized state.

When I designed the 12 katas for my particular expression of Modern Karate, I started with some core principles contained within Ninomiya’s original Enshin Karate katas:

  • Use of a modified boxing stance for quick movement and a lowered center of gravity for resistance to low kicks and takedown attempts.

  • Combining strikes, kicks, grabbing, takedowns, and todome (finishing-off techniques) in a logical, progressive sequence that places emphasis on continuously off-balancing the opponent.

  • Attacking or counter-attacking from an angle and/or immediately the taking the blind-spot position for a quick, powerful, devastating finish.

Second, I decided to update kata so they more closely imitate real-world physical threats, including weapons. This meant:

  • Using only techniques that are simple to apply and effective regardless of height or body weight of the threat.

  • Stringing techniques together in a logical progression of target acquisition, increasingly powerful weaponry, and methods of delivery.

  • Use of training methods that increase stamina, explosiveness, and muscle memory.

Third, I told myself to remind my students often to think of kata practice like playing scales on a piano or chords on a guitar. Like playing any instrument, precision and control are required for effective kata practice, especially when first learning a new movement or series of movements.

Real fights are generally fast, sloppy, and potentially life-threatening; so the point of kata practice is to ‘program’ in specific muscle memory (example: straight palm strike) and ‘reprogram’ spontaneous muscle memory (example: taking the act of instinctually waving an insect away from ones face, turning that movement into a block), in order for the student to be much faster, more efficient (i.e.- economy of motion), and less sloppy than his/her opponent(s). 

Kata is also a good opportunity for students to become more acutely aware of their breathing, positioning, weight distribution/center of gravity, and proper use of a closed kinetic chain when delivering any strike, kick, or take-down.

Make your kata practice meaningful, not monotonous! 


Find Sensei Lewis on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!

For more information on seminarsclasses, private lessons, and personalized fitness coaching, please use the contact form located on the right sidebar or click here.

Comments